Thursday, October 05, 2017

Sometimes It's NOT Enough

Saw a note on FB that simply said that in these types of situations

Your Prayers are not enough.
It was referring, of course, to the Standard Response (TM) to mass shootings and other things that cause people incredible distress.
I am praying for you.
Now, not to be one who denigrates prayer since I believe it is an important spiritual action we all need, I understand what the first statement means.
  • Prayers are not enough
  • If that is all you plan to do!
Too often we all use that as a way to cope with our sense of powerlessness in the face of overwhelming problems, issues, disasters, and the like. We feel so damn powerless- and we don't like it! So we pray.

In and of itself, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. In fact, it may be the best thing we can do first.

But what then?

Sure, there are times when there is nothing else to do. But I have the feeling that we often stop right there with the prayer and move on. We have done our "duty" and prayed.

I feel better about myself. I am a good person. I have turned to God. I no longer feel powerless- or guilty for not being in the midst of all that. I go about my business.

Again, in and of itself, that is okay.

But what else can I do?

There may be more than I think.

But if I stop at the praying, I may never know what it is the God I am praying to WANTS me to do.

The Twelve-Step programs are clear there is more to prayer than praying. Step 11:
  • Sought through prayer and meditation 
    • to improve our conscious contact with God, 
    • praying only for 
      • the knowledge of God's will for us and 
      • the power to carry it out.
 Prayer is often NOT all there is for me to do.

Thank God!

No comments: